California State Tax Filing for FREE
The Franchise Tax Board (FTB), California’s tax authority has introduced FREE Tax filing on its website. For people who are looking to file their tax returns for free your wait is over. Branded as ‘CalFile’, the new tax filing site is part of the FTB site.
You can get to it CalFile here : CA Free Tax Filing
Who Cannot Use CalFile
Albeit a great tool for California tax payers, not everyone can use the free state tax filing on the FTB website. The exemptions are detailed below.
If you do not qualify for free CA state tax filing, you can find other private tax preparation companies that will do only a state tax return.
So here is when you CANNOT use CalFile to file your free California return :
- An amended return.
- A return for someone who died.
- Requesting a military- or disaster-related extension.
- You have Health Savings Account (HSA) deductions or distributions.
- Your spouse/RDP was active duty military and was domiciled in a community property state other than California.
- Claiming a disaster loss.
- Claiming Mortgage Debt Relief.
- You filed federal form 1099-C (Cancellation of Debt).
- Capital gains or losses; business or farming income or loss (federal Schedule C, D, F).
- Income or loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, REMICs, etc. (federal Schedule E).
If you do qualify, the free filing can save you quite a bit of money. If you do not qualify see how you can file Only State Tax Return.