W2 Not Received – What To Do If Your W2 is Not Received

Imagine this scenario:  Its tax time and  you are getting really anxious to get your tax return out the door and claim that tax refund that is waiting for you. But lo and behold you still havent received your W2 from your employer. You probably have a refund coming to you and without your W2 you can’t start preparing your tax return ?
There are several reasons for the delay in getting your W2 – postal delays, you moved recently and did not update your mailing address with your employer, company went out of business etc. etc.

  • Employers are required to mail out the W2s for their employees by Jan 31st.
  • Here are a few tips you can use if you did not receive your W2 after the second week in February :
    • First call the employer and ask them to send you a replacement W2. If the employer does not respond, or if the employer has shut down you can contact the IRS.
    • Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS will contact the employer on your behalf and request the missing form.
    • IRS will also send you a Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2 or Form 1099-R.
  • You can also estimate your W2 based on paychecks and you can report this as ‘income not reported on a W2’. Usually the last paycheck of the year has Year to date  (YTD) information eg. YTD Gross, YTD Federal tax etc.

Get a Preview of Your Tax Refund Use an Online Tax Refund Calculator

W2 Not received

Comments are closed.